The difference between asp.net 2003 and asp.net 2005.
1. Improving Development productivity by reducing the lines of code to be written by 70%.
2. Increasing performance and scalability for developing fast web applications platforms by providing facilities such as caching.
3. Simplifying the administration and management of web applications
4. Providing enhanced hosting opportunities for Internet Service providers
The final release of ASP.NET includes 40 new controls.
The Grid View control has features for sorting, paging, selection and editing of contents out of the box.
The DetailsView control displays single records in a vertical listing of data. The TreeView control supports the Data Source Provider concept and a number of data sources can be bound to it, including XML data.
The Bulleted list control designed for data binding displays highly configurable HTML lists and provides support for hyperlinks and link buttons.
Apart from the above controls, some other controls have been introduced for the use of image maps, upload of files and rapid implementation of Wizards.
Master pages have been designed to help web developers design templates with place holders for content.
Implementation of navigation has been made simple with the integrated navigation structure based on XML data.
User management system is provided by providing special controls for registration, login and so on with data providers to handle the data storage without any code.
Themes and Skins:
This allows developers define themes and skins for their applications. The Implementation of themes provides for design properties, CSS support and integration of individual graphics.
This feature helps in counting page requests and also clicks of controls. The .NET framework provides an extensive API to analyze, visualize and process the data.
ASP.NET 2.0 opens up several new possibilities for the deployment of the applications. Developers can now create or open projects using the file system or the local IIS, FrontPage Extensions (FTP). The new functionality for compiling complete web applications includes copying of Dynamic link Libraries(DLLs) to the Web server.
The new features of ASP.NET, simplify the overall programming model.
The compiler is designed to generate most of the code and the developer is freed
from repetitive programming tasks.
Difference between VB6 and VB.NET:
- VB6 uses the VB-Runtime while VB.NET uses the .Net CLR. The CLR uses better code translation through Just in Time compiler while VB-Runtime interprets the code.
- VB6 was interpreter based language while VB.NET is a compiled language.
- VB6 was not a type-safe language while VB.NET is a type safe language.
- VB6 used ‘On Error Goto’ syntax to handle exceptions at runtime. VB.NET uses the Try…Catch…Finally syntax to handle exceptions at runtime.
- VB.NET has much enhanced object oriented support than VB6.
- VB6 does not allow developing the multithreaded applications. In VB.NET you can create multithreaded applications.
- VB6 was only considered for desktop windows application. In VB.NET you can also develop web applications, distributed applications.
- VB.NET is platform independent because of .Net framework. Programs written in VB.NET can run on any platform where .Net framework is present.
- VB.NET also supports language interoperability. VB6 provides this functionality through COM but it was limited and difficult to use and manage. VB.Net makes it easier because of the presence of Intermediate Language (IL) and Common Language Specification (CLS) of the .NET architecture.
- VB6 uses COM (Component Object Model) as component architecture. VB.NET uses assemblies as its component architecture. The Assemblies architecture has removed a lot of problems with COM including DLL-Hell and versioning problem.
- Components created in VB6 (COM) need to make and update registry entries. VB.NET does not require any registry entry making the deployment easier.
- VB6 used ADODB and record-sets to implement data access applications. VB.NET uses ADO.NET and datasets to build data access applications. The ADO.NET also supports the disconnected data access.